Osteopathic Match Day was yesterday, and while I had no intention of participating, it has managed cause me some anxiety that I had not planned on battling. After being assigned to a transitional or preliminary year by the Air Force, I decided that was a perfect opportunity to try to stay in Des Moines, for a number of reasons. There are 2 TY programs in DSM, I interviewed at both, and had made up my mind that either of those programs were my goal. Well, then yesterday happened. Because I submitted a sort of 'dummy' AOA rank list (because I'm a dummy and didn't withdraw it), not only do I have the opportunity to view all of the unfilled AOA positions, but I'm actually being pursued by some of them. It's killing me. I could express interest and likely secure an offer this week, or I can take a chance, wait until March 17 to find out if I match, and hope to match in Des Moines. It's brutal. I'm trying to resist making an impulsive decision, but it is freaking hard.
In other news...well, really, there isn't any news. Starting this blogging endeavor has illustrated to me that the Elys lead rather bland lives. This week I complete my anesthesia rotation. So far the biggest challenge has been not the subject material, but understanding what in the world my preceptor is saying. He has a heavy Indian accent, speaks faster than any native English-speaker I know, speaks under his mask in the OR, and tries to speak over the bone saw. I do a lot of nodding and mmmhmmming, but I've definitely learned a lot about how to improve my intubation technique, as well as a variety of regional blocks, which I love.
If Aaron would log on here and write a post you'd know what he was up to (hint hint wink wink), but he doesn't, so I'll do my best. He is a teaching rockstar, and got some positive feedback last week after his classroom observation. Other than that, he spends most of his time spoiling me and being pretty much awesome.
That's all for now. Hopefully things pick up so that I have something to write about next time.
No comments:
Post a Comment