Monday, March 24, 2014

Back to NY

Last post in February?  Look at me posting every month.  It's like I have nothing else to do. 

(I may actually have nothing else to do)

So since last post, I finished anesthesiology, spent four weeks of misery at DMU doing family medicine, and have done a week of PICU.  Family med was INCREDIBLY disappointing, especially since it was put on by my home institution.  I expected to have a solid learning experience.  I learned nada, and spent about 20 hours serving as a free TA to the physical diagnosis lab.  Grumblegrumblegrumble.  PICU has been a good learning experience, although they are expecting some effort out of me that I'm not super excited to give.  I want to be lazy these last few weeks of 4th year.  Grumblegrumblegrumble.

Speaking of end of 4th year, I'm ALMOST DONE.  Graduation is two months from today, and I have 5 weeks of rotations left!  I am so over being a med stud.  Not that intern year is going to be a walk in the park, but I'm ready to burn hang up the short white coat and be granted some responsibility. 

In even bigger news, last week was Match Week.  It sucked big time, but the outcome is fun:  we're moving to Long Island!  We'll be in the greatest city on earth, and no more than a half hour drive from the beach at any one time, and close to family we rarely get to visit, but I think we're most excited about the opportunity to 1) go see SNL and 2) go see Jimmy Fallon.  ANY TIME WE WANT.  Super exciting. 

Aaron and I have joined CrossFit at the end of February.  For the first week, we couldn't walk.  The next week, we couldn't raise our arms.  We've kind of alternated back and forth between these two extremes since then; we're still weak and the soreness isn't much improved.  But it's way fun and I think we'll stick with it. 

I've been doing a lot of reading.  Don't be too impressed; it's not medical reading where I learn the things I ought to know.  It's reading what I want to read, as well as some books on those lists of books you have to read in your lifetime (alistofbooks.com).  I read a few Malcolm Gladwell books, which were great, and now I'm working on James Joyce's Ulysses.  It.  Is.  The.  Worst.  WORST.  It's 800 pages of free association, verbal diarrhea, and most of it I don't understand because it's in fancy-pants English.  I'm going to suffer through it, because I'm not one to quit a book once I've started it, but here's a disclaimer to my future self:  do not ever revisit this text.  Blech. 

That's all for updates.  Until next time!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Rachel,
I am glad you are happy about Long Island, but I was hoping you would stay in Michigan. I guess God needs you there to do His work. Another move but hopefully this will be your last one. Know that our prayers are with you both as you begin another new adventure in your life.
Love,
Neil and Nancy Duvall