Monday, November 18, 2013

Interview

Today was my interview at Einstein.  To be honest, I was dreading it, because my experience here has been less than positive.  I was pretty pleasantly surprised.  As not exciting as it is to be a student here, I think the resident training program is actually pretty good.  And for the first time, I was almost a little excited to do a 4 year instead of 3 year program.  I'll probably still go for a 3 year program, but I'll be a little sad to miss out on the off-service learning experiences that an extra year allows.  All of the faculty I talked with today were great.  I think I've just had the bad luck of working with attendings that were not so interested in teaching.  While this place may not be #1 on my list, it has definitely moved up to...on the list somewhere.

Yesterday was the last shift of a four-day stretch.  I was a little discouraged by my interactions thus far, but was trying really hard to be invested and enthusiastic.  The senior resident was great, but the attending was a pretty sarcastic and didn't especially seem to want to be there, so I wasn't sure how to approach him.  At the end of the shift I asked for some feedback, as I usually do.  He proceeded to tell me I suck.  Really, really, suck.  At first I was confident that he was kidding and smiled.  Then he continued to tell me that I super sucked, more than the usual med student.  I became a little concerned, but kept smiling.  When told me that I sucked so much that he was going to go home and write a song about it, I'm pretty sure I let out a huge sigh of relief as it became obvious that he was kidding.  He concluded by grinning and saying that I had done a great job, and that he was impressed.  It was a much needed boost for my morale, and I left with a much better attitude. 

After work, I met my good friend Christina at a theater in the old city to see The Book Thief.  The movie was fantastic, almost as good as the book.  I wish I had re-read it more recently, but the movie was great either way.  On the way there I happened to walk past Independence Square, and I'm maybe a little sad that I haven't spent more of my time here exploring the history of the city.  I had planned to see visit the Liberty Bell and whatever other historical must-see sites are nearby.  Instead, I've just watched a lot of TV.  Don't judge me.

I have 2 more shifts and an interview before I pack up and leave.  I've booked my train ticket to NYC for Friday, and even though things are going better, I am so glad it's almost over.  Even though I'm very much the introvert and have never minded being by myself, I think I need some social interaction.  I look forward to seeing Meme and spending the weekend with family before interviews resume next Monday. 

That's all for now.  Until next time!

No comments: