Thursday, November 14, 2013

Philly

I left Las Vegas on a Friday morning, and I was never so happy to see Des Moines.  Aaron greeted me again at the airport, because he. is. awesome.


We had an awesome week.  I did a lot of nothing.  Watched TV.  Read books.  Watched more TV.  Don't judge me.  Somewhere in there we sprinkled in a Halloween party or two.  I'm not much of a costume person, but Aaron had the brilliant idea to go as Sheldon Cooper and Amy Farrah Fowler (from The Big Bang Theory, for those of you living under a rock), and it was easy enough. Most people figured it out, and we got a lot of laughs.


Shamy
 
That week of vacation was not long enough.  We watched some movies, lounged around...maybe I lounged around while Aaron worked.  Anyway, I wasn't ready to leave.  At all.  So perhaps that has something to do with my poor attitude toward my time in Philadelphia.  My time here has been...mediocre at best.  Einstein is not in a great neighborhood, and the feeling of being hyper-aware all the time is exhausting.  Some of the attendings have no interest in teaching.  There are a ton of med studs rotating with no interest in EM, and make their disdain very obvious.  The pods are way overstaffed with interns and med studs, so it's a challenge even to get a patient--let alone have the opportunity to shine.  In short, it's not been a great experience so far.  The highlight of the month has been taking the train to NYC to cheer Aidan on in the NY Marathon.  Lots of fun energy there, and always great to see family. 
 
So, that brings us to present day.  Never thought I'd be done playing catch up with this blog, but I've finally made it!  Until next time, I'll leave you with the only bit of sight-seeing I've done since being in PA:
 

The tree has been up for a day or two.  If you look closely, you can see where it already has some graffiti.  Pretty representative of my time in Philly.


No comments: